Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Accountable Talk - Think, Pair, Share

If we think about the first things we learn to do - listen and then speak, that would explain why I'm such a big fan of accountable talk in the classroom!

Model your thinking when you respond to a question for your students.

Example: Making connections - in the story of the Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I think that Goldilocks was self centered. She went into the Bear's house without being invited and began to eat their food and use their things. This reminds me of my younger sisters who used to come into my bedroom and just use and take my things without asking. I understand why the Bears were upset when they got home - I remember coming home and finding my things out of place. Just like Goldilocks, my sisters didn't care about my things because they were only thinking of themselves (I really hope my sisters don't read this...I might be in trouble...).

Think: Pose a similiar question to your students. Example: What other words would you use to describe Goldilocks? Can you think of an example from your own life?

Pair: Share your story with a partner

Share: Summarize and report back to the class what your partner told you.

Think, pair, shares are great for encouraging accountable talk and practice. It's application in the classroom at any age level is limitless - just pose a question!

1 comment:

  1. What a great (and "do-able"!) suggestion Elizabeth! Just cause I'm feeling slightly "saucy" I'm sharing this link to lots of ideas from teachers about how they've connected a wide variety of cooperative learning strategies with the curriculum:
    http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/asit/standards/btstart/tribesandcurriculum.pdf

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete